The days are just flying by, Day 3 already and what a day.... We have just climbed and climbed all day. We set off this morning from Lostwithiel, in mist and cloud and drizzle, all the way up Dartmoor. I can't give you the mileage, 'cos guess what.. I've lost some of my data (by the time I get to John O'Groats I may have figured out how to use my Garmin). I think it was about 20 miles. And then the sun started appearing. I've seen rabbits, cows with young calves, sheep with lambs AND Dartmoor ponies with foals, lovely.
Some of the villages we've passed through have been "chocolate box" pretty, even in the drizzle.
The sun decided to show up this afternoon, think I've burnt my nose.
I've found out from one of my fellow cyclists that we climbed about 6500 feet today. It felt as if I'd cycled, for those who know, around the Isle of Wight, (Freshwater Bay and Black Gang Chine) and over The Cat & Fiddle, twice!?, up Gun Hill and Wincle!!? In other words a lot of serious climbing. I DID IT THOUGH!! All that training paid off today, big time.
I haven't said much about my fellow LEJOG-GERS. I am sharing a room, with a lady called Sarah, in her early 50's, who is great - chatty, funny and feisty - she's struggled to train after having really bad flu in May, so is struggling a little bit, but is determined, as we all are!!
There is one other lady, Liz, who I think is in her 70's; she is here with her husband. They are dead fit, don't see them for dust, or at least we wouldn't if it wasn't raining.
Then there is Alex, who is 82 and dead fit too. He says he is struggling on some of the steeper bits (16%+) but he hasn't got off yet, inspirational!
I'll tell you more about the other LEJOG-GERS tomorrow.
Getting sleepy now so must say night, night, sleep tight.
Hi Janette, sounds like you've had some challenges already, but nothing you can't handle! Loving all the views and animals you are sharing with us. You are looking strong!! We think you are amazing from all of us at the Rossendale Trust!!! Go Janette!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey Well done for the Dartmoor Day! Yep, lots of hills!!Now you're on day 4 today so everything will seem 'undulating' in comparison. With Cornwall consigned to history you have a glorious future ahead of you. Nothing beats Scotland, but the gentleness of the midlands awaits you to give your climbing legs a rest before Cumbria. Look forward to reading your next blog, You are doing great!! xxx love Annie
ReplyDelete