I seem to start each blog entry with “What
a fantastic day” – and today is no exception – what a fantastic day! 60 miles
in total.
We climbed
up onto the North Yorkshire moors, out of Huddersfield and carried on over the
top. At one point I’m pretty sure we could see for almost 50 miles – the sky
was so clear. Then down into Skipton, gateway to the Yorkshire Dales. And through
into Wharfedale. The Dales are so beautiful, white, dry stone walls, and
practically every field has a little stone barn in it. The valley floor is
flat and lush with a beautiful river running through it toppling over small
waterfalls. Brilliant scenery.
Cycled through Oxenhope today – that’s
where we (Geoff and I, with Chris – Geoff’s son - and Trudie, our friend from
Southampton) watched the Tour de France when the Grand Depart was in Yorkshire,
cool!! Then, on to Haworth for coffee and a scone, yum.
In Skipton I stopped at the bike shop, but
nothing could be done about my “clicking” front fork – no mechanic working (it
is Sunday after all!!). Have to sort it out tomorrow.
At the sign for Hawes – 7 miles to go – the
road went up, and up, and up. When I got to the top I saw a road sign “17%” and
I worked out that I been climbing for 3 miles – I kid you not. Whoever said
that Cornwall and Devon are the hardest bit of LEJOG, obviously did not go
through the Yorkshire Dales!!?? The descent was a bit scary too. At one point I
thought I could smell rubber burning!!??
I managed to avoid the rain – I just kept
on the edge of it, getting the odd spit & spot – unlike my room-mate Sarah,
who came in after me, wet through and cold!
We are over half way now, and only three
days to go to our rest day. Hurray!!
No comments:
Post a Comment