Monday, 18 July 2016

Tain to Bettyhill, 71 miles

Well, what can I say.. despite the rain we have all had the most fantastic day.

The rain stopped about 11-11.30am, when we were in Lairg, having an early lunch. This was necessary because we were about to enter the back of beyond with very few places to stock up on calories. We climbed up to a place called Crask (896 feet) and then sailed down into the valley to a place called Altnaharra by Loch Naver. 



The photos above don't really do the scenery justice - it was stunning, as was cycling alongside the River Naver.




Left the River Naver behind to see a sign for John O' Groats - the first sign!! Hurrah!! It says 55 miles, but I'm sure we are doing more than that tomorrow as most of are going to Durness Head, the most northerly point of the UK mainland, before John O'Groats.




I arrived in Bettyhill about 3.30pm, to see the Atlantic Ocean!! The last time I saw the Atlantic was at Land's End - 16 days ago, and here it is again!! 


Amazingly this is the view from our hotel window.

So, last day tomorrow, it is quite incredible, Land's End seems such a long time ago.

We have to be vigilant tomorrow - that's when the most accidents happen apparently, at the end of the trip, when people are relaxing and getting de-mob happy!!

Bye for now!





No comments:

Post a Comment