Oh my goodness - what a day!! We set off at 9am, from Bakewell in the rain. Within an hour I was wet through. I think the only part of me that was dry at that point was my left foot! By morning coffee time in Bamford, (just up the road from Castleton), that was wet through too. The staff in the cafe we stopped at, were very understanding and didn't seem too bothered about us dripping water everywhere.
Oh yes! Yesterday evening, when Geoff came to see me in Bakewell, he bought me a present - a waterproof cap to wear under my helmet. Sorry Geoff, it couldn't cope with the Peak District rain... I got a wet head, eventually, (2-3 hours of heavy rain), sorry!?
So after coffee, on again in the rain, past Ladybower Reservoir and onto Mortimer Road between Bradfield and Wigtwizzle (awesome name!) - climbing a massive 25% incline. The picture below shows me and Alex (age 82) at the top of the hill.
Many thanks to Richard Storer, (again!), my PT, for getting me up Mow Cop (also 25% in places) during my training. So pleased to get up this hill today. I saw Alex ahead of me walking up the hill (you are allowed to walk at 82!!), and I thought "maybe I can do that?" Then, of course, I just had to go for it! All of us who did it, were elated!! Such an achievement! Chris, our tour leader, said this is the worst hill on the tour.
And wouldn't you just know it - the worst hill and the worst weather so far, is in the Peak District, TYPICAL!
Sarah, my room-mate is getting desperate, she's checked the weather at least 3 times since we got to the hotel, to see what's happening tomorrow and if it's changed since she first checked it 30 minutes ago. It hasn't changed, IT IS GOING TO RAIN AGAIN TOMORROW.
Carrying on the animal theme - here is a fine specimen! He was very relaxed in the field with his harem of cows and very many offspring.
Another problem has occurred with my bike - the front fork is making a dreadful clicking noise. Hopefully both me & my bike will make it to Skipton tomorrow, where the next bike shop is. I know it's Sunday - but Chris assures me it is open.
Watch this space.
No comments:
Post a Comment