Saturday, 2 July 2016

Day ONE

What a day, we started at 7.30, Geoff and I packing, re-packing!! I ate a hearty breakfast! The biggest bowl of porridge I have ever seen at The Godolphin Arms in  Marazion. Then back to the Campsite, Dove Meadows in  Marazion. The weather couldn't decide what to do, showers and sunshine. Then, 11.30 we made our way to Penzance. I can only liken the morning to waiting for an exam to start, you've done the preparation, and you've just got to wait to be told to turn the paper over before you can see what is being thrown at you.

So Geoff dropped me off, big, big hug and then he was gone! Said "hello" to the rest of the gang already gathering, and then we were off!!  




I was leading the way to Land's End! We went via Mousehole, (nasty hill on the way out), 5 of us. Problem number one, my gears started slipping, big-time, oh no!!!!

Land's End, arrived at 2.30, time for a cuppa, group picture and back on the road, back to Penzance, after checking with Chris, our tour leader if he knew anything about gears. No, but he knew a bike shop in  Penzance - next stop!!

After 15- 20 mins in the bike shop my gears were sorted, many thanks to The Cycle Centre.

Then back through Marazion, past the entrance to our campsite, Dove Meadows and on to Helston, via Godolphin. 

So total miles today 39.6

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janette! O no, slippy gears, never a good thing, glad you got them sorted, not fun at the beginning of a 1000 mile ride! (yes, I'm afraid that is the right amount of noughts)But you sound good, even after cycling through Godolphin, I remember the name from our ride and as it's in Cornwall I can only assume it was Godawful! All the very best for your day to Lostwithiel (count the carriages...)and sleep very well for your cycle across the top of the world (Dartmoor) to Exeter, beware all those bleep-bleep hills, it will get better. Anyway, you've done Mow Cop, Toot Hill, Gun Hill, and our very own Stoneyfold Lane so you are well up to conquering the Cornish monsters. All our love to you, Annie and Paul xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ya, I'm a day behind you! Today was bad hill-wise, some of the lanes we went along reminded me of Coalpit Lane, not quite as steep. The worst one was 17%, Gun hill I suppose.... Hey ho, off to bed soon, Dartmoor tomorrow...😳

      Delete