Friday, 3 June 2016

Graduation Week

What a momentous week! 

On Monday I went out with Rich and tackled "Mow Cop" near Congleton - it's called "The Killer Mile" and has a nasty, infamous section, two-thirds of the way up, at average 25%. According to "Strava" one bit is 27%!!


The picture above shows the 25% bit - I looked nowhere as comfortable on my bike as the chap in the picture. I was weaving across the road (on purpose trying to reduce the gradient a bit!!). Rich was behind me shouting stuff like "Half way there!" and "You've got this, Janette!" and then suddenly, after a huge "roar" (literally) of effort I crested the 25% bit and gasped my way to top - pleased as punch! Rich was pretty pleased for me too!

So, now I feel confident that I can tackle anything that Cornwall has to throw at me. I feel sure there won't be anything as bad as "Mow Cop". I'll be able to let you know in 28 days - as I  start on the 2nd July - wow! in one calendar month I'll have finished Day 2.

So "Hill Training" is now complete! With lots of thanks to Richard (aka "Tigger" - in-joke!?) Storer, super-coach! I certainly could not have done it without him. He's built up my confidence in my own ability (which means I can keep my feet clipped into the pedals - I used to unclip one foot 'cos I was frightened that because I was going so slowly I'd fall over!!). He's also has helped me to learn how to pace myself up both long & short hills, using my Heart Rate data. Thanks once again, Rich.

I can recommend getting the help of a coach if you want to take your cycling onto the next level. I've learnt how to ascend and importantly how to "descend" hills safely too. Just got to get Geoff to feel comfortable descending and Alpe d' Huez here we come!! (His turn will come on Monday with Rich....). 

My other achievement this week has been to  "graduate" from the "Couch-to-5K" programme, held over the last 9 weeks with Macclesfield Harriers. On Thursday night a group of us ran 12.5 circuits of the athletics track to complete 5Km. We were given a certificate each! The final run is in a week's time - we run the Congleton Park run and then that's it, we can continue with Macc Harriers or ?? 

In all honesty I think I will probably stop - I have developed a niggley pain in my left knee, which I have had before when running. The last time I tried "couch-2-5K" I had to stop because I couldn't run anymore, the pain was so bad. So best to quit whilst I'm ahead.

A very satisfactory week all round, I feel GOOD!!


No comments:

Post a Comment